Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Making plans for your goals

No matter what your goal is, it's not only important to have
a written down goal, but you must have a plan to reach your goal, as well.

I think that this might be one of the ways in which, some of us, me included, messed up in the past. Not having a thought out goal is one – it was true for me that `losing weight' was the sole definition of my aspiration, and this simply isn't good enough.

 It is too vague to start off and it lets you open to thinking about weight loss in terms of all the ikky bits of being fat that you do not want in your life, and very little about the positive aspects you want to have. 
But there is another part that I used to miss out. No plan. I used to just pitch into a diet or exercise program, and assume that this was all I had to do and it would all work out as I went. 
Which it didn't. If you look at losing a lot of weight, it is true that it becomes like looking at the side of a skyscraper and that gets to be disheartening and frightening. Too much to really cope with emotionally. 
So the baby step idea is essential. Break the final goal down into stages that are easy to handle. And then work on each stage to build up your action plan for getting from start to finish of the stage. 
Again. I never did – just flew by the seat of my pants and hoped it would all hang together. Which it doesn't and you get lost and discouraged and you have nothing to refer to when you need to adjust what you are doing. 
Do this sort of thing – make out a clear outcome goal, that doesn't have anything as trite as losing weight as the title, break it up into as many stages as you like, and prepare action plans for each stage so you know what you are doing, why, and how all the way. 
 And, of course, don't forget to book the celebrations for each stage of the trip either. This worked so well for me in building up the excitement and fulfilment and pride in how I was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate